People in Burlington take great delight in their smiles, and for good reasons. However, regular brushing and flossing are often insufficient to ensure a lovely smile. Knowing when and why dental fillings may need to be changed is crucial if you’ve had them in the past. The indicators that it is time to replace outdated fillings are discussed in this article, along with why getting this issue taken care with a Burlington, Ontario family dentist is essential for dental health.
Dental Filling Durability
Dental fillings, whether made of composite or amalgam, are resilient yet temporary. They can become damaged or degrade over time and require replacement.
When to Consider Replacing Old Fillings
- Filling Age:
- The longevity of dental fillings varies based on the material used and other elements.
- Composite fillings may last 5-7 years compared to the average lifespan of amalgam fillings of 10-15 years.
- You should consider replacing your fillings if they are over ten years old.
- Visible Injury:
- Check your fillings for obvious symptoms of deterioration, such as cracks or chipping.
- Damaged fillings may leave gaps where bacteria can enter and cause rotting.
- Tobacco Sensitivity:
- An issue could be indicated by increased tooth sensitivity or soreness near the filling.
- Changes in the filling or underlying tooth structure may cause this discomfort.
- Recurrent Decay:
- If a dentist detects recurrent decay around an old filling, it is crucial to promptly replace it.
- Neglecting this can lead to more extensive dental work.
Why Addressing Replacement Matters in Burlington
- Local Dental Expertise:
Burlington is home to a group of knowledgeable dentists experienced in evaluating and removing outdated fillings. Find a reputable local dentist for expert advice and treatment.
- Cosmetic Issues:
Replacing outdated fillings can improve your smile, especially if you choose composite fillings that match your teeth.
- Minimizing Future Damage
- Old fillings should be replaced as soon as possible to avoid complications such as infections, root canals, or tooth loss.
- It promotes the maintenance of oral health.
Your smile is one of your most valuable assets and deserves the best possible care. In Burlington, addressing the replacement of old fillings is essential for maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile. Recognizing the signs that it is time for replacement and seeking the expertise of a local dentist can ensure that oral health remains in the best shape.